Thursday, September 22, 2005

Addicted to a Hobby


Oh sure, there are a LOT of things I could get (and have been) hooked on. I never thought "toys" would be one of them. It started one day after seeing a friend (we'll call him Larry) toss a new Parkzone F-27 Stryker in the air and do some amazing things with it. Looked like fun.

Now I've always wanted to learn to fly but never had the funds. I found an Acipeter Badius for sale by Raidentech and well, since it came with everything and had spare parts galore, thought I'd give it a try.

Ok, first thing you want to do is get a guru/trainer/teacher/instructor. You will spend untold fortunes OR get out of the hobby very fast if you don't get hooked up with a good instructor and/or a good club. Now, this is COUNTER INTUITIVE. At least for me. Hey, I'm a man and I can DO THANGS. Well my friend, flying is NOT one of those things - at least not right out of the box.

My guru/instructor (Larry) was a great help and walked me through all the issues, and "gotchas" but I still managed to burry the stick and nose in in a horrible crash after takeoff. OK, it wasn't horrible and I did manage to take off (hand toss) in fine fashion but it was a short flight.

One thing a guru can help you with is to give you a post mortem flight deconstruction. This, while not real fun, is a key to learning what you did wrong. I waited a week for the new wings to arrive and had a much longer flight and now was on the way to becomming an addict. Thanks Larry.

Another thing a guru can do for you is give you his old stuff. Larry 'lent' me his rc flight sim software. This is a huge help and allows you to get comfortable controlling things from all angles.

Keys to the game:
For RC beginners, let me save you some time and money. These are some things that WILL help - no questions. I'll cover each of these in future posts as each has a million options.
1) Get a good/cheep beginner plane that has ample spares available
2) Get an instructor/guru/Larry
3) Get "Stick time" on a simulator

1 Comments:

Blogger postuk3 said...

Good blog. Cool as!! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I've got a business loan site/blog. U can find business loan related stuff.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home